Many of you will be aware that Browning Street Studios transitioned in the last year to become a not-for-profit, worker-operated Cooperative. In fact, we were the first incorporated co-operative in the Australian music industry.
Our Cooperative currently includes over thirty local music and dance teachers. The Co-op’s main objectives include space provision for musicians and other arts-industry professionals, as well as micro-enterprise support. We currently reside across three buildings housing studio/teaching/rehearsal space, practice rooms, a cafe and live music/dance class venues.
It has been great to see many new Cooperative members grow their small businesses into sustainable, independent enterprises enabling them to derive a livelihood from the arts.
Of course, it’s always tough for us to hang in there, especially at Christmas time when students head off on holidays. For this reason we’re launching an annual Christmas appeal and hoping you can keep us in mind when purchasing gifts for family and friends.
Consider giving the gift of music this Christmas
Purchasing gift vouchers for friends or family is the great way to give a gift that gives twice! Not only will you be sharing the Browning Street difference with someone you care about, you’ll be supporting our unique, local enterprise.
- $100 lesson packs (discount of $30): Includes 1x hour introductory lesson, plus two 30-minute follow-up lessons on the instrument of your choice. All instruments available. Jump online to order: http://www.browningstreetstudios.com.au/nyspecial
- General gift vouchers available for any amount.
- $120 practice time vouchers (discount of $80). 10 hours of time in our piano practice rooms, can be used any time by appointment.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to order Gift Vouchers. Please place orders by December 22 to ensure delivery in time for Christmas.
Discounts for lessons purchased in advance
To assist the Cooperative with its annual fundraising, some teachers are offering discounted term (10 week), semester (20 week) and year (40 week) bookings for the new year. Hour lessons will be discounted from $66 to $60. Half hour lessons from $35 to $32.
To be eligible bookings must be discussed, confirmed and paid for by January the 12th, 2015.
Please email your teacher for more information. For new students, please send the Cooperative an email (wemusicdancecoop -at- gmail.com).
Become a Friend of Browning Street
Now general members of the community can show their support for our Co-op by becoming an official “Friend of Browning Street”. Monies raised from subscriptions contribute to our operating expenses and, hopefully one day, will help us to establish a special projects trust to support our community outreach work.
$387.95 value for just $80.00 a year!
“Friends of Browning Street” receive an amazing bunch of stuff upon subscription:
- Browning Street Tote Bag: Hand-printed lovingly by Co-op members. ‘Cos being a Co-op is totes cool;
- 17 Browning Street: paperback historical memoir by Elizabeth Jeffs;
- Free practice time: 1 hour per month or 12 hours per year in one of our piano studios; and
- Special “friends only” offers: Including free entry to performer’s club.
You’ll receive news, informative articles and special offers via a monthly “Friends of Browning Street” e-newsletter.
You can sign up via paypal online, at https://browningstreetstudios.com.au/friends
Of course, we will always accept Donations to the Cooperative.
Thank you for your ongoing support of what we do. We couldn’t do any of it without you! I wish you all the best for a safe, relaxing and enjoyable Christmas break.
Chairperson of the Board
Last year’s campaign: